Saturday, June 20, 2009

Blackberry Pickin'

I've started picking the blackberries in the yard. I'm trying pretty hard to stay on top of them so that I get the good ones before the birds do. Today I picked the largest blackberry I've ever seen in my life!
I'm a pretty good sight when it comes to picking these things. I usually try to do it first thing when I wake up. (This is not always morning, since my job makes me work nights.) So this afternoon I wake up at 3pm. Its sweltering hot outside and I throw on a pair of shorts and t-shirt. Then I throw on my waders. What is the point in dirtying up a clean pair of socks and pants just to pick some black berries? Plus the thorns stick to your pants and sometimes stick through the pants! So I put these big ol' boots on, and it solves a lot of my problems! The ticks that live in the high grasses can't stick to the boots as well, the thorns don't pierce into my skin, and I'm not quite as scared of snakes reaching out to bite me since I've got a thick rubber boot on. The only downside: I pretty much melt inside the darn things, and I look like a ridiculous idiot. I'm sure the people driving down the side of the road don't expect to see a girl in waders on the edge of a field. But I'm thinking it will be worth it!
I'm freezing all of the ones I get so I can save them up and use them for something later. I was thinking about trying to make a blackberry preserve this year. Last year we didn't have but a cup or two of the delicious berries and I tried my first attempt at making a black berry cobbler. My mom used to make it growing up and I loved it. Well, I'm not sure what happened last year. I don't think I was paying too much attention and left out an ingredient- possibly sugar. Or at least didn't put enough in. I was cutting the recipe in 1/2 because we had so few berries. Well, lets just say when I'm cutting up a recipe, I pay better attention now! We'll see what this year has in store for these berries!

No comments:

Post a Comment