Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The Engagement and The Ring- WR

"WR" stands for Wedding Related. If you see this, and don't care about wedding stuff, move on from here on out!

RNH and I actually talked about getting married before he actually proposed. He told me in the kitchen at my apartment, while making dinner one night, that I was the love of his life and he could never be without me. He told me he wanted to marry me, and I told him the same. He said obviously he didn't have ring to give me, but he hoped that he would soon. So with all the mumble-jumble, lovey-dovey stuff being said, we figured out when we wanted to get married. I started planning a wedding, sans ring, but that didn't matter. We also began planning for our married life and soon-ending apartment rents, and ended up buying a home together!


RNH was given my Great-Aunt Rosie's ring, who I was named after. I have no clue the "specs" on it, but its a simple round diamond in 14k white gold that I love. I love the history behind it- she was married to one man her entire 98 years of life. He took me to dinner for my birthday and got down on one knee afterwards while I was getting into his truck. He said a ton of sweet things that I only wish I could remember and gave me the ring on bended knee.

I knew I was set. For life.

That my friends, is the short and sweet of it.

When it came to purchasing wedding bands, RNH had the hook.up. Fo'sho! RNH's godfather died several years ago, and he was a very important person in RNH's life. He would have been in the wedding if he had survived prostate cancer. He may not have been there in person, but he definitely helped us out along the start of our lives together. He was a personal friend of Mr. Hayes, of Haye's Diamonds. A.K.A., the "Diamond King of the East Coast!" We made a trip down to Lexington, NC to see him. While there, I picked out exactly what I wanted- a $5700 wrap to go around my great-aunt's diamond. RNH picked out a simple $300 silver band. The wrap cost $1800 and the band, $100. Holy hookup.

That, my friends, is the story of the rings.

Thank God for friends, otherwise I wouldn't have got exactly what I wanted!!!

(Side note: you'll noticed a "hole" in between the wrap and my main diamond. My aunt's ring is over 90 years old and the prongs are brittle. I'm going to have to get it re-set in order to make sure I don't loose the diamond. When I get that done, the jeweler will make the setting fit perfectly into the wrap and take the hole away!)

1 comment: