Thursday, November 12, 2009

It's Official

We're missing the Opening Day of Duck Season. This happened last year. This also happened for Dove Season this year. Talk about .disappointment.

We signed up to work an extra event at work. We're excited because it means we get to watch our favorite team (NCSU Wolfpack!) play Clemson, and we get to make money doing it, but not something we'd really like to do with our day off. And to top it all off, we're missing Opening Day.

The good thing is that I took a week off to spend time with the puppy and get him acclimated to his new surroundings. That means that I'll have free time to hunt as well. But guess what- I won't do it.

There is something about waking up way earlier than you're supposed to on a day off, while its still pitch black out. The world is sleeping and you're putting on your long-johns and strapping a gun to your back. You head out in the blackness and feel your heart rate pick up with anxiousness. Entering into a silent world where the animals are still asleep, or getting ready to head in for day light, you feel alone yet not. Then as the day begins to break and the world around you begins to wake and become noisy, you're sitting in silence taking it all in. Waiting. Waiting for that perfect moment when you've got the perfect shot. The silence of the woods is filled with the noise of an animal and you're about to pull the trigger.

Yup, something about all of that, that makes me not want to be doing it alone. I've never hunted alone, and don't think I could wake up that early by myself without someone sharing the excitement. I also think I'd be devastated to get a kill and not be able to share the excitement with RNH. Plus I'd have trouble when it came to cleaning. Not sure I know everything I'm supposed to.

Anyways. I won't go out by myself. Plus if I ever have to encounter that Bobcat again, I'd rather have RNH, the better shot, by my side! He's hoping to be able to take the week off too. We'll see. Then we'll not worry about Opening Day quite so much. We'll have a week of fun ahead of us!

1 comment: