Saturday, December 5, 2009

The Great Flood of 2009

This past Thursday we had a crazy amount of rain. The Internet rain gauge is only showing 2 inches of rain, but I swear it was more like 10 inches!!! The rain never stopped all day long and at some points it was pouring so hard that we had to turn up the volume on the television so we could hear our shows!

The rain made for a pretty interesting adventure into the swamp the next day. Half of our land is on a hundred-year flood plain, which I guess means that every 100 years, the land floods. I guess 2009 was the year! Thankfully our house is pretty much on a hill and the swamp is quite a ways from the house, so we don't have to worry about the structural integrity of our home. The swamp however, is a different story. RNH and I have noticed an odd embankment that comes up from the water area of the swamp. It is several feet away from any water line we've seen in the 2 years we've lived in our home. We just assumed that the embankment was where the water level used to be a long time ago. After seeing the flood, we learned that the embankment is where the water should be. It was very impressive to finally see the swamp in all of its glory. It was flooded to a normal water level.
After checking out the swamp, we moved to the river. Again- impressive. The river had swelled to 3 times the normal width. Its current was strong and moving fast. We moved further up stream, away from the swamp. The river usually thins out in this area and you look across to a farm field and silo. Instead today, you saw a huge glistening body of water as the sun hit across the water. The thin part of the river was also at least 3 times the size of its usual width.

And despite the insane amount of water and strong currents, RNH and I decided to take the boat out and go hunting. That itself deserves its own post. More on that later.

After being in the swamp most of the day, I was exhausted and told myself that I would take Drake down to the swamp the next day and take a lot of pictures of the flooded swamp. So I go down there the next day, and it was almost like the water was gone. G-o-n-e. How could that much water just simply disappear? I know I saw a lot of water going down the spill way at our town's water reserve, but I had no clue that it would be gone so fast! Anyways- a bunch of words and no pictures. I took a few, but they just don't do it justice. Hopefully it will flood twice in this hundred years so I can take a few pictures next time!

1 comment: