Saturday, February 20, 2010

BwAk! Oops....

I took advantage of a sunny day (we haven't had many of them lately- all this crazy snowy weather!) and cleaned out the coop and nest boxes. I left the ladies and Roo in the coop that morning because I took Drake out with me and I didn't want to have to worry about chasing him around and yelling "NO CHASING MOMMY'S CHICKENS!!!" at him. Leaving the chickens in the coop made it easier (they usually have free range of our entire yard).
I grabbed the push broom that I use to brush out the run and stuck it inside the coop. I know that the chickens are scared of the broom, but it hasn't been that big of a deal. Well that was not the case today!

I stuck the broom in the coop and all of a sudden there was a flurry of feathers and BWAKING! I let the ladies run to their nest boxes before trying again. But that is when I saw a surprise...

One (or maybe two) of the ladies had the eggs scared right out of her! There was a full-sized (yet small still) egg, and then an itsy bitsy tiny egg beside it! It was too cute! The egg was about half the size of the eggs that they are laying right now.

I had to reach the egg using the broom, rolling it toward me. But doing this caused it to roll in a bunch of mud and poo, so I ended up tossing the entire egg on the compost pile. I wish I had my camera out there so I could have taken a picture of it.

I'm not sure if this was another hen trying her first attempt at egg-laying, or what, but it was tiny and very cute!

I feel bad though, I didn't mean to scare the eggs right out of them!

2 comments: