Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Chicken Must-Haves

Every chicken-owner has a few things that they couldn't live without. Here are a few of mine! Some things for fun, and some just because they're useful!

This is just a dish scrubber. Not too abrasive, and not to rough. I use it out at the coop when I'm pulling eggs out of the next boxes. I give them a quick once over, brushing off any chicken poo or pine shavings and then they're ready to eat! I don't wash my eggs, so it is important to have something that is easy to use and does a good job of getting anything that is stuck on the shell. Some of that chicken poo can be stubborn, but this does a great job! (Plus it was only $0.89!!!)Once the eggs are poo and shavings- free, they're ready to go inside. We're getting three eggs a day, so having a basket to take them to the house in is really handy. My mom gave me this basket as a Christmas gift! It is actually a basket for golf balls, but it is perfect to keep the eggs from rolling around and breaking. Plus its just cute!



Chicken poop chap stick. No, this is not chap stick made out of chicken crap- YUCK! But it has a fun name and I love it! Another Christmas gift from my mom!

*I'm not sure where my mom got the Christmas presents, but I know if you'd like to have some of these items you can find them on the BackyardChickens website!

3 comments:

  1. I love all the chicken stuff! I, too, am now getting 3 eggs a day, although mine are small (maybe 1.1 or 1.3 oz each) since the pullets are only 4.5 months old. But it's still exciting, and I am learning alot about chickens! Thanks for your tips - I need to get an egg basket, def need the scrub brush, and the chapstick is adorable! -Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need an egg basket too! The golf ball basket is very clever and looks just like the egg baskets I've seen elsewhere. Probably easier to find around here, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been having a problem with keeping the egg basket nearby when I need it. When I went home to where I grew up this weekend, my mom gave me an old wire shower caddy. Skinny also gave me some old wire baskets. I'm planning on keeping a few up at the house, and a few at the shed so they're always there when I need them!

    ReplyDelete