Saturday, March 13, 2010

Garden Preparations

So now that this crazy cold winter seems to finally be over, I dug in full steam into the garden. RNH re-tilled the garden while I formed the rows. Afterwards I spread some Black Kow (cow manure) on the rows. I'm not sure if that is the correct way to do things, (its probably better to work the manure into the soil while tilling) but I'm thinking this will be good enough.

While doing all of this hard work, it was very amazing to see the differences in the soil within just a few feet. The soil on the west end is a darker color (I think because I put manure down last spring), and is much more fine. The soil on the east side is harder, full of thick rocks and is like clay. I'm thinking that this is going to be a big problem for our crops at that end of the garden. RNH suggested working in some top soil which I think will be a good idea. If I had been composting all winter, it would have been good to work the compost in. But I was lazy, so now I'm just working with what we've got. And thankfully, we've got topsoil in the shed.

Our soil goes from this:
To this: in a matter of feet.

My next problem to tackle: chickens in the garden. I only have garlic and onions planted so far, but the chickens immediately go over and pluck out all of the onion bulbs. Grrr... I've got to buy some more netting and set up the fence ASAP!

2 comments:

  1. You are going to have soooooooooooo much food. CRAZY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hoping so! I hope I don't get too overwhelmed with it all!

    ReplyDelete