Sunday, May 2, 2010

The Little Vineyard

I went to Lowes to return something and as I walked in the door, I noticed several bins outside the front door. They were small burlap sacks of grapes, usually $10, marked down to $1. For a dollar, you got two grape plants. Y'all know I can't pass up that kind of deal! I purchased 6 Niagra grape plants and brought them home. They weren't our beloved muscadine variteties, but I figured this would do just fine to start us off.

With that, RNH and I built a little "vineyard." I'm using the term "vineyard" very, very loosely. But its fun and I'm excited!

The dog ended up chewing up one of the plants, so we really only planted 5 grapes. They're not looking all that well, but they had to have been marked down for a reason! Whatever plants don't grow, we'll just replace with a muscadine vine. No biggie!
We planted them 8 feet apart with 6.5x3.5 round posts in between the plants. We ran a sturdy wire between each post along the bottom and top of the posts for support as they grow. We also decided put the posts along the natural curve of our yard for maximum use of the space, and to ensure the grapes get as much sunlight as possible. I like the way it looks, instead of being a straight row. We're already talking about putting in another row, and extending the row we just created! I can't wait til they start producing!!! While we were putting up the posts, our neighbor came over on his tractor and we got to talking. Which eventually led to me filling up a cooler full of beer, ordering pizza, and starting a bonfire. My neighbor was joking about how redneck we were- but there is nothing like hanging out around a bonfire on an almost-summer night!!!


(My neighbor leaving on his tractor.)

2 comments: