Friday, July 9, 2010

Cholesterol Anyone?

I just made three dishes for our late-4th of July party tomorrow. In those three dishes, I used 20 eggs. YIKES!!!

One was a Pillsbury strawberry cake mix. It only used 3 eggs. I'm going to make a flag cake with it- strawberry cake, vanilla frosting and strawberries and blueberries to decorate the top

(This is not my cake, but hopefully it will look somewhat like this!!!)

The second was my mom's recipe for "Black Berry Dreamsquares." I'm not sure where she got the recipe from. They were originally "Cherry Dreamsquares" but once I found the canned pie filling section in the grocery store, I considered my options. (For a long time I did not know that they make and can pie fillings commercially. Maybe I'm stupid.) So I tried apple and now blackberry pie fillings in the recipe. Apple was good. Blackberry is awesome. I'm having a hard time trying any other filling because I love blackberries so much. It seems everyone else does too. Its been a big hit-dessert at cookouts. Its so simple, I'll post the recipe at the end of the post!

The third dish I made for the party was "Berries and Cream" from Pioneer Women. I don't know where this lady came from, but she's awesome. She lives on a ranch, takes awesome photos, makes incredibly awesome food, and shares all of her knowledge with everyone. She even breaks down the photography stuff for smart* people like me.

*I am being sarcastic.

Anyways, the recipe called for 10 eggs yolks. Yiikes! All I gotta say is thank God my eggs are free!!! Actually, if they weren't free, I probably would have never attempted the recipe. Eggs aren't expensive, I just wouldn't have bothered with it. Either way, the Berries and Cream are to die for. They are a must have. Especially if you have an abundance of berries on hand!

Okay. Now for the Dreamsquares recipe:
1 Box of Pillsbury white cake (make sure it has pudding in the mix!)
Rolled Oats
Butter
Brown Sugar
1 Egg

Mix the cake mix, 6 tablespoons of butter and 1 cup of oats until crumbly. Reserve 1 cup of crumbs for topping.
To remaining crumbs, add 1 egg and mix thoroughly. Press mixture into bottom of 13x9 pan.
Pour 2 cans (21oz each) of whatever pie filling you'd like on top of the mixture. Try the blackberries!!!
To the reserved crumbs, add 1/4 cup of oats, 2 tablespoons of butter and 1/4 cup of brown sugar. Mix well and sprinkle over the pie filling.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes.

VOILA! The best dessert EVER!

Hopefully at the party this weekend I'll remember to take pictures of it and post. Right now it is baking in the oven! :)

3 comments:

  1. Well, I have a tremendous sweet tooth so all those eggs wouldn't bother me, LOL. And if they were made with your eggs, well, I read that free ranged eggs a way healthier. (Which of course you already knew!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope all your desserts turned out well!

    If you're a little concerned about all those eggs raising your blood cholesterol level, you needn't be. The latest research shows it's not cholesterol in our food that raises our blood cholesterol level but trans and saturated fats. Thankfully, eggs have no trans fat and very little saturated fat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see you are blogging again! How exciting.

    ReplyDelete